100+ Years of History
The Rideau Curling Club (RCC) was founded on November 10, 1888 - more than 130 years ago. Since that time, the Rideau has been an integral part of the community. We are incredibly proud of the role we played and our long history!
In 1888, 120 members rented a building on Waller Street, with three sheets of natural ice and sparse facilities. The weather was a constant worry in a facility with no refrigeration capabilities. Annual dues were sold as shares and were only $10!
Governor General Lord Stanley (yes, that Lord Stanley!) was its first Patron, and Sir Sandford Fleming its first President.
Did you know?
In 1916, the Waller Street premises were requisitioned for war purposes and the RCC rented its second home - also with three sheets of natural ice, at 96 Vittoria Street, approximately where the Supreme Court of Canada now stands. In 1930, the federal government gave notice of appropriation. This prompted an alliance of badminton players and curlers under the name Rideau Winter Club Ltd., and erection of a four-storey building (in 1931) at 277 Laurier Avenue West. This facility boasted four sheets of artificial ice, and was the envy of our sport in Ottawa. In 1949, this building was sold, and the RCC established its fourth and current location.
Back in 1888, club games were 16 ends and competition games were 21 ends! Can you imagine?
Construction of a one-storey building with five sheets of ice began at the corner of Percy and Cooper Streets in July of 1949, replacing a coal yard and blacksmith shop on the block. In 1953-54 granite stones officially replaced irons. In 1965, a second-storey was added, including a kitchen, dining room, and meeting room.
For the club’s centennial in 1988, the mezzanine was adorned with a complete series of portraits of RCC Presidents and the many Governors-General who have served as the Club’s only Patrons, as well as many other historic photographs. A unique display of over 100 tartans on the walls of the lobby recognizes the country of Scotland as the origin of our sport as well a special connection for many of our members.